Monday, May 11, 2015

Del Taco in Foothill Ranch, California equals fast, friendly service

When I worked in Lake Forest, Del Taco in Foothill Ranch, CA was my stomping ground for the lunch hour. The drive-thru is very fast and the employees are very friendly. I ate in a couple of times, but most of the time, I took my lunch back to my desk so I could continue working. This location has free WiFi and Funland for the kiddies.

Let’s take a look at some items that you would normally not see on the menu:

Nacho Cheese Fries is crinkle-cut fries topped with nacho cheese sauce and sliced pickled jalapenos. It’s definitely a comfort food menu item for me. When my day isn’t going well or I have a cold, this is my go-to menu item. The crispy and perfectly salted fries with their crinkles help the nacho sauce cling. The jalapenos add a kick of spiciness here and there when you need it. This is not on the menu at every location, but you can still order it. Just make sure you say “Nacho Cheese Fries” when in the drive-thru. If you say “Nacho Fries”, they sometimes hear it as “Macho Fries” and you will end up with a large fries. Rating: 5/5

Shredded Beef Combo Burrito needs a comeback. I loved the tender shredded beef, cheese, and refried beans together in a burrito. I usually add a packet of each hot sauce (Mild, Del Scorcho, and Del Inferno) to my burritos for the ultimate flavor experience. Each sauce has its own flavor profile, but combined are the perfect sauce. They should call it “Del Ultimo”! Rating: 5/5

Carnitas Fries also needs a comeback. The tender pork carnitas make the ultimate topping along with sour cream, diced onions, cilantro, and nacho cheese sauce. It’s a meal in itself. I miss it! Please bring it back! Rating: 5/5

Asada Taco with Steak is juicy carne asada topped with tangy guacamole, hand-made pico de gallo salsa, wrapped in two warm corn tortillas, and served with a fresh cut lime wedge. This is currently on the menu and served street taco style in a foil wrapper. It has a good portion of carne asada inside. Although, the guacamole and pico de gallo do make a colorful presentation, it’s just very messy to eat. I think just leaving it with onions and cilantro would be best. Rating: 3/5

Small Taco Salad was on their Throwback Menu. For the price, it was a pretty decent size of lettuce topped with seasoned ground beef, shredded cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, and five tortilla chips. It was a refreshing side salad of sort. It definitely tasted like a taco salad. Rating: 4/5

The Bun Taco was also on their Throwback Menu. It was a good attempt at making the Bun Taco, but the only location that makes it perfectly is in Barstow off Lenwood Avenue. I don’t know how they make it differently, but at the Barstow location, it just tastes like I remember it back in the 1970s. They even wrap it in the yellow wrapper that I remember. You can still order it at any location, it’s just not on the menu. Rating: 4/5

I would love to see Del Taco bring some of these menu items back more often, especially the Carnitas Fries!

Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 stars
Service: 5 out of 5 stars
Décor: 4 out of 5 stars
Food: 4 out of 5 stars

For more information:
26702 Portola Pkwy
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
+1.949.588.0716
Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

Del Taco on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment