Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Unwind at the On The Rocks Bar & Grill in the Blue Harbor Resort & Conference Center

After a long flight and long commute from the airport, I didn’t feel like venturing out for dinner. The Blue Harbor Resort & Conference Center has a few on-site dining options. The only one that was open when I arrived was the On The Rocks Bar & Grill. Although the sun had set, this place had tableside views of Lake Michigan. The restaurant has a rustic lodge, boathouse feel to it with paddles above the bar and a stonework fireplace. Their menu is actually The Beacon Restaurant’s menu with the inclusion of specialty drinks, wine, and beer.

I didn’t feel like a large dinner, just something light so I could get to bed. Here are some tasty bites you can try:

Citrus Mojito is made with rum, clementine, ginger, and mint. I wanted something to calm my nerves and I LOVE mojitos. It looked great with its orange color and mint leaves on top. I am not sure what kind of rum is used with this but it tasted a bit off with a heavy hit in bitter flavor department. This one may need a remix. Papa’s Pilar Rum would help even out the flavor for a smoother sip. Rating: 3/5

Spotted Cow Curds ($9) is locally-sourced cheddar curds hand-dipped in a New Glarus Brewing Company Spotted Cow (only available in Wisconsin) beer batter, deep-fried, and served with house-made jalapeño ranch dressing. If you have been following me, you know that I love cheese and I love, love, love cheese curds. This is the first time I have had cheese curds with a beer batter. The ale added a yeasty and slight fruity flavor to the batter which paired well with the gooey, salty cheese curd inside. I would leave them in the fryer for a little longer as some of them had a little bit of uncooked batter on the inside. Also, when removing them from the fryer, I would drain the curds a little longer to get more of the excess oil off. Other than that, these were great fried cheese curds. Rating: 4/5

The Wedge ($9) is a wedge of iceberg lettuce served with cherry tomato, smoked bacon lardons, Roth Kase Buttermilk Blue Cheese, julienne red onions, and house-made ranch dressing. This salad is more than just a starter, it is a meal! I wanted a salad to contrast the richness of the fried cheese curds, but was not expecting it to be this robust. I was amazed at how fresh everything tasted since it was so cold and snowing outside – crisp iceberg lettuce, sweet sun-ripen cherry tomatoes, and zingy red onion. The Roth Kase Buttermilk Blue Cheese is to die for! It has a nice creamy and silky texture with pungent bleu cheese flavor which works perfectly with the house-made ranch dressing. But what takes the cake is the smoked bacon lardons. They are what turns this salad into a meal with rich, smoky flavor with beautifully crispy edges with tender pork and juicy fat. I LOVE this salad! Rating: 5/5

With my tummy full, it was time to head to the room, get some sleep, and dream about bacon lardon as it gently snowed outside.. Stay tuned for a look inside The Blue Harbor Resort & Conference Center in the daylight.

Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 stars
Service: 4 out of 5 stars
Décor: 4 out of 5 stars
Food: 4 out of 5 stars

For more information:
(inside The Blue Harbor Resort & Conference Center)
725 Blue Harbor Dr
Sheboygan, WI 53081
+1.866.701.2583
Hours: Daily from 11 a.m. to close
Seating: Interior
Reservations: First come, first serve

On The Rocks Bar & Grill Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment