Saturday, September 27, 2014

4th Annual Los Angeles Food & Wine Festival: Iron Chef Morimoto Cooking Demonstration

When I was younger, my parents loved to tune in to PBS to watch Japanese talk shows and cooking shows. They attended Japanese school in primary school years and used their Japanese to communicate with their bachan (grandmother) and jichan (grandfather). When the regular school day ended, Japanese school began. Not only did they have homework from public school, but they also had homework from Japanese school. Since I was lucky to be third generation and we moved to California from Hawaii, there were no Japanese schools nearby for me to attend. My parents always told my brother and me that we had it easy. Long story short, I ended up learning only a little from what my parents would say at home, which was mainly food items.  But any youngster from a Japanese family will know this word, “Yakamashi!”

To read more and see slideshow, please visit: http://www.examiner.com/article/4th-annual-los-angeles-food-wine-festival-iron-chef-morimoto-cooking-demo

No comments:

Post a Comment