Friday, December 13, 2019

Preserving delicious, seasonal flavor with Cinnamon Persimmon Jam


The Cinnamon Persimmons in this post were provided by Melissa’s Produce but the opinions expressed here are my own.

I am inspired daily by my friend, Susanne Duplantis of Makeover My Leftover, to end food waste in my kitchen and hopefully inspire my family, friends, and followers to do the same. It is just mind-blowing how much food waste happens around the world. Right now, Melissa’s Cinnamon Persimmons are in season. I had a plethora of fruit! In my previous blog post, I made Cinnamon Persimmon Bars which won over the hubby so much that I made it for his office potluck the very next day. The hubby got some nice compliments on the dessert which made me happy. Even with testing the recipe three times and slicing a couple of them up for a quick snack, I still had a lot leftover. One way to preserve these delicious Cinnamon Persimmons is making jam. I made my first jam, Huli Huli Jam, earlier this summer for The Jelly Queen’s Biscuits & Jampionship and got hooked. Since then, I’ve made a few more flavors. This will be my 5th jam and it is so simple! Now I can enjoy Cinnamon Persimmons for months!

Cinnamon Persimmon Jam by OC Food Diva

Ingredients:
4 Melissa’s Cinnamon Persimmons
4 tsp calcium water
½ cup fresh lemon juice

Directions:

  1. Prepare calcium water per package directions in Pomona’s Universal Pectin box.
  2. In a large pot, place jars and lids and fill pot with water making sure to cover entire jar. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and keep covered until ready to jar.
  3. Remove stems from persimmons but gently pulling up on the stem. It should pop off like a cork on a wine bottle. In a blender/food processor, puree persimmons. Place puree in a medium saucepan and add lemon juice and calcium water. Mix to combine. Turn heat to medium and bring to a boil.
  4. In a small bowl, combine sugar and pectin. When persimmon mixture comes to a boil, turn off heat and add sugar/pectin mixture. Mix until combined. Turn heat to medium and bring back to a boil, stirring constantly. Once at a boil, turn off heat.
  5. To jar jam, remove jar from water and drain off water. Pour hot jam mixture into jar leaving a ¼-inch space to the top of the jar. Remove lid from water and place on top of jar. Using oven gloves, screw lid on tight, but not overly tight. Repeat process with remaining jars. Let jars cool to room temperature. Once cool, make sure lids are sucked in tight and store. It should last a year in dry storage. When opened, refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment