Food Fight Write! blogger steak challenge, pioneer village, and WFC launch party + recipe
|Photo courtesy of World Food Championships|
|Presentation plate during test kitchen prior to World Food Championships|
- 2 Kansas City Steak Company filet mignons
- 2 tbsp California Rancher Santa Maria Style seasoning
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp + ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp + ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp Saucy Mama Poblano Ranch dressing
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup My Yard Farm microgreens
- Heat grill to high. Grease grill with bacon drippings or oil to keep steaks from sticking to the grates.
- Remove filets from packaging and season with California Rancher’s Santa Maria Style seasoning and set aside to rest and come to room temperature.
- Cut grape tomatoes in half and stir in 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper to coat. Cover and refrigerate to let the flavors marinate.
- Add basil leaves, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, ½ cup olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper to food processor or NutriBullet and blend until smooth with dark green color. Set aside but do not refrigerate.
- Sear steaks over high heat for 2 minutes on each side. Reduce heat to medium and cook to your perfect temperature (rare: first side for 7 minutes, second side for 5 minutes; medium: first side for 8 minutes, second side for 7 minutes; medium: first side for 9 minutes, second side for 7 minutes). Remove from heat and let the filets rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Stir the pesto, if separated, and decoratively swipe two tablespoons of pesto in the center of the plate.
- Decoratively swipe 1 tablespoon of Saucy Mama’s Poblano Ranch dressing in the middle of the pesto for a two-toned effect.
- Slice filet and arrange on atop of pesto/ranch swipe.
- Place ¾ cup of the marinated tomatoes on the side of the steak and top with microgreens.