The Champion's Table
View my food journey on Zomato!

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Taste of South Africa with Mulderbosch Vineyards + Braai recipes


Mulderbosch Vineyards is located in the Cape Winelands in South Africa. Founded in 1989, Mulderbosch is one of South Africa’s foremost wine producers. In 2011, Terroir Capital in California acquired Mulderbosch and brought in top winemaker Adam Mason from Napa Valley, CA.

Mulderbosch Vineyards is socially responsible. They are a member of the WWF-SA Biodiversity & Wine Initiative and follows environmentally responsible management practices in the cellar, vineyards, and the land they own. Sections of the farm are zoned for conservation: wetland rehabilitation, introduction of fish, removing invasive species of grass, replanting indigenous Rynosterveld & Fynbos, and encouraging more bird species and insects.

 
2011 MulderboschChenin Blanc Steen Op Hout is made from low-crop Stellenbosch & Swartland grapes. The grapes were harvested in the early morning to ensure coolness; crushed and lightly pressed; the must was cold settled before inoculation with select yeast culture. 80% of the wine was tank fermented between 13-15° while the remaining 20% underwent natural fermentation in New Hungarian and French oak barrels for five months. Tasting notes: mild fruity aroma; pepper, pear, and oak flavors experienced on the palate; dry finish. Food pairings: Peach and Ginger Chutney (see recipe below), seafood, and chicken. Rating: 2.8/5

 
Peach Ginger Chutney by Chef Hugo Uys of Wines of South Africa (WOSA)

  • 4 pounds sliced peeled peaches
  • 2 cups of golden raisins
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 cup chopped ginger
  • 1½ tablespoons chili flakes
  • 1 tablespoon mustard seed
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • ¼ cup pickling spice
  • ½ cup chopped yellow onion
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 cups apple cider vinegar
  1. In a large heavy pot over low heat, stir together the ginger and garlic until it forms a paste. Add curry and chili flakes.
  2. Add peaches, raisins, onion, mustard seed, curry powder, sugar, and cider vinegar.
  3. Wrap the pickling spice in a cheesecloth bag and place into the pot.
  4. Bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches the desired consistency (+/- 2 hours). Stir frequently.
  5. Remove the spice bag and bottle the chutney.


2010 MulderboschFaithful Hound is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (46%), Merlot(24%), Petit Verdot (13%), Cabernet Franc (11%), and Malbec (6%). The grapes were handpicked and crushed into stainless steel fermenters. The must was cold soaked overnight, allowed to begin fermentation spontaneously, and then inoculated. The wine fermented dry on the skins, pressed and underwent malolactic fermentation in the tank before blended and racked in barrel for maturation. A light fining and filtration was applied just before bottling. Tasting notes: Oak, dark cherry, and plum aroma; Oak, cherry, smoky, chestnut, and plum flavors experienced on the palate; Dry finish. Food pairings: Lamb Sosaties (see recipe below), steak, beef stew, cherry/plum tarts. Rating: 2.3/5

 
Lamb Sosaties by Chef Hugo Uys of Wines of South Africa (WOSA)

  • 4 pounds lamb cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 2 large red onions, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons coriander
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • ½ cup dark brown sugar
  • 5 ounces ginger, grated
  • ¾ cup red wine vinegar
  • ½ cup masala wine
  • ¼ cup smooth apricot jam
  • 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
  • 8 garlic cloves, grated
  • 8 ounces dried apricots
  • Red onions cut into 1-inch x 1-inch cubes
  • 8-inch soaked bamboo skewers – place in water 1 hour before you skewer the meat
  1. Roast coriander seeds until slightly brown. Grind coriander into a powder.
  2. Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Add coriander powder, cinnamon, curry powder, allspice, turmeric, salt, and black pepper.
  3. Turn heat down to low and add ginger, sugar, vinegar, wine, apricot jam, and tamarind paste. Simmer for +/- 8 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
  5. Add lamb chunks and marinade into to resealable bags and massage meat well.
  6. Place in refrigerator overnight.
  7. Skewer the lamb with apricots and red onions, and repeat.
  8. Grill over medium heat until desired temperature.

Your taste of South Africa is just a sip and bite away.


For more information:

No comments:

Post a Comment