JONS Fresh Marketplace is the best kept secret in Torrance, California + recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F and start double boiler/steamer.
- Cook 2 cups of rice with beef stock and water.
- Unfold cabbage leaves, about half of the head. Steam until tender but not mushy (just enough so leaves can be laid flat). Set aside.
- Dice onion, garlic, bell pepper, and 1 ripe tomato. Set aside
- In a large pot, brown ground beef, pork, and lamb. Add onions, garlic, bell pepper, tomato, paprika, caraway seeds, salt, and black pepper. Simmer until liquid starts to thicken.
- With a mandolin, thinly slice potatoes and 1 tomato. Set aside.
- Grate cheese and set aside.
- When rice is cooked, add melted butter to rice and toss to coat.
- In a 9 x 12 baking dish, press half of the rice into the bottom of the pan, making sure it is tightly packed.
- Layer 1/3 of meat mixture on top of rice.
- Layer thinly sliced potatoes on top of meat mixture.
- Layer 1/3 of meat mixture on top of potatoes.
- Layer cabbage on top of meat mixture.
- Layer remaining meat mixture on top of cabbage.
- Mix cheese into remaining rice and layer on top of meat mixture.
- Place thinly sliced tomato on top of rice.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cheese and rice on the top and bottom layers are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Cut into squares, garnish with a dollop of labneh, and serve.
JONS Fresh Marketplace