31st Annual California Strawberry Festival in Oxnard, CA starts on May 17, 2014
The main foodie event is on Saturday, May 17th, 2014 at 12:30pm. Two finalists will battle it out at the 2014 California Strawberry “Berry Blast Off” Recipe Contest, presented by the Ventura County Star. They will have one hour to prepare their recipes and a panel will judge and present the winner. The grand prize winner will choose from a three-day, two night getaway vacation to Palm Springs, San Diego, Cabo San Lucas or Branson, Missouri, courtesy of Welk Resorts (airfare not included), and a Cutco studio knife set valued at close to $500. The runner up will receive an overnight stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Oxnard along with a complimentary dinner for two at acclaimed Tierra Sur Restaurant at Herzog Wine Cellars in Oxnard.
- If last year’s crop of California strawberries was lined up, berry to berry, they would circle the world 15 times. That’s enough to provide every U.S. household with 12 pint-sized baskets of strawberries.
- It would take 7,000 strawberries to create the red carpet that welcomes the stars to the Academy Awards every year.
- The U.S. Census reports that nearly four million babies will be born this year. By eating strawberries, expectant mothers consume folic acid, an important B vitamin that helps prevent neutral tube birth defects such as spina bifida. Eight strawberries have more vitamin C than a cup of orange juice.
- Tickets: General admission is $12, seniors 62+ are $8 and children ages 5-12 are $5. Kids 4 and under are free. Active military and dependents with ID are $8.
- Hours: 10:00am to 6:30pm
- Use their Mobile app: Text “berry” to 95577